Saturday, December 3, 2016

Two Truths and a Lie: Fun Ice breaker for the First Date

How to Play the Game

This game is also called Two Truths, One Lie or Two Truths and One Not. It extremely easy to play and doesn't need any equipment or supplies, only your imagination.

You can play this game at the first date as icebreaker or as a group entertainment with any number of people involved.

Here's how it works:

ü  Each person in the group gets a turn.
ü  When it is your turn, tell the group two things about yourself that are true and one thing that is untrue (this is your lie).
ü  Try not to tell both of your truths first and then the lie because that makes it easier to guess.
ü  Mix the order up each time it is your turn. Alternate between truth-truth-lie, truth-lie-truth and lie-truth-truth.
ü  Everyone in the group has an opportunity to try to guess which statement was the lie.
ü  Once everyone has guessed, the person will reveal what was true and what was false.
ü  If only one person was correct, that person can go next. Or, the person sitting closest to the last person can go next.
ü  This can go around as many times as you would like or just so everyone gets the chance to go once.



Some Strategies and Suggestions

This game isn't any fun if you make it completely obvious which statement is a lie and which statements are true. Here are some ways to avoid doing that.

Strategy #1

Make two boring or average statements. One of them should be the lie. Your true statement should be something radical or surprising. If you do this, chances are that your friends will suspect the outrageous fact is the lie.

Strategy #2

Make two surprising or uncommon statements — one of them should be true and the other should be a lie. Your second truth can be a common statement. This will prompt your friends to pick one of the surprising statements as the lie, but which one? It could possibly stump them.

Strategy #3

Make your two true statements unbelievable, if you can. This lets you make the lie very believable. Your friends will assume that the two wild statements can't both be true and pick one of them as a lie.

Examples: Truths and Lies About Achievements

ü  I can play guitar.
ü  I can play piano.
ü  I've written three short stories.
ü  I used to do improv.
ü  I once wrote a play about hard-boiled eggs.
ü  I speak 23 languages.
ü  I speak three languages.
ü  I can ride a motorcycle.
ü  I took acting classes in college and have been in a commercial.
ü  I got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT.
ü  I've completed a professional eating contest.
ü  I can breakdance.
ü  I can read and write Latin.
ü  I don't have my driver's license.
ü  I learned to read when I was four years old.
ü  I almost flunked out of college.
ü  I've been published in three magazines.



Examples: Truths and Lies About Sports

ü  I can't swim.
ü  I can hold my breath for two minutes.
ü  I've never been able to do a cartwheel.
ü  I rowed for my college team.
ü  I know how to juggle.
ü  I'm really into working out.
ü  I took ballet lessons last year to try to become more graceful.
ü  I can run a mile in under seven minutes.
ü  I've swum with sharks.
ü  I love hunting and once shot a 710-pound elk.
ü  I run every day (even when it's cold outside).
ü  I've climbed six mountains.
ü  I used to play goalie for my high school soccer team.

Examples: Truths and Lies About Your Childhood and Family

ü  I am a twin.
ü  I asked Conan O'Brien out to prom.
ü  When I was a kid, I wanted to be a hockey player.
ü  My dad builds sewage factories.
ü  I used to live in a theater.
ü  My sister is a vegetarian.
ü  I have a sister who is ten years younger than me.
ü  I was born in Denver, Colorado.
ü  I grew up on an island.
ü  I wore the same sweatshirt every day in middle school.
ü  I grew up on Long Island.
ü  I was voted most likely to succeed in high school.
ü  I graduated at the top of my class in college.
ü  I was the first person in my family to go to college.
ü  I grew up in an apple orchard.
ü  I went to grade school with the current senator.
ü  For my 16th birthday I asked for and received the hardcover versions of The Lord of the Rings.
ü  I used to have a huge crush on my 7th grade science teacher.
ü  I went to prom wearing an actual Cinderella dress.
ü  I'm Mexican.
ü  One of my cousins is a movie star.



Examples: Truths and Lies That Make You Sound Quirky

ü  I'm colorblind.
ü  I once stepped on a pear covered with bees and didn't have an allergic reaction.
ü  I own a puppet.
ü  I hate the color red.
ü  I have never lived in a house.
ü  I have visited 23 countries.
ü  I don't have a Netflix account.
ü  I hate dirty dishes in the sink.
ü  I own six robes.
ü  I love gambling.
ü  I have never won a contest of any kind.
ü  I usually don't go to sleep before 2 a.m.
ü  I was interviewed on the news once.
ü  I have an autograph from Taylor Swift.
ü  I've completed a professional eating contest.
ü  I have over 100 selfies on my phone that I've never posted on social media.
ü  I've never gotten a ticket of any kind.
ü  I have a cape and cane.
ü  I never answer calls from unknown callers.
ü  I hate Justin Bieber so much it hurts.
ü  I met all the members of The Eagles.
ü  I nap almost every day.
ü  I always use a fake name at restaurants.
ü  I've been to Disneyland five times and eaten at the restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride every time.
ü  I've never died my hair.
ü  I've never seen The Sound of Music.
ü  I'm an absolute musical freak!
ü  I once ate an entire medium pizza by myself.
ü  I haven't lived in the same city for more than four years.
ü  I collect rubber duckies

Examples: Truths and Lies That Make You Sound Bad-Ass

ü  I've been skydiving twice.
ü  I've swum with sharks.
ü  I've been arrested but never put in jail.
ü  I drink a pot of coffee every morning.
ü  I've broken both wrists and both ankles.
ü  I've crashed six weddings but only been kicked out of two.
ü  I was once in a car crash where the car was totaled and I survived with no injuries.

Examples: Truths or Lies Your Close Friends Will Already Know

ü  I am deathly afraid of spiders.
ü  I have met the president.
ü  I'm colorblind.
ü  I used to do improv.
ü  I've never been to New York City.
ü  I've been engaged but never married.
ü  I have over 10 plants in my house.
ü  I was the last of my friends to get a smart phone.
ü  I have never been on a roller coaster.
ü  I used to be deathly afraid of elevators.
ü  I think grasshoppers are pretty much the cutest things ever.
ü  I love black and white movies
ü  I've done stand-up exactly two times.
ü  I don't want to get married.
ü  I'd like to have six children.
ü  I dislike dogs.

Examples: Truths and Lies About Food

ü  I am a vegetarian.
ü  I only cook once a week.
ü  I hate chocolate chip pancakes.
ü  I think tomatoes are disgusting.
ü  I have never tasted honey,
ü  I hate cilantro.
ü  I try to avoid carbs.
ü  I love to deep-fry food.
ü  Peanut butter is my favorite food.

Brainstorming Ideas

Sometimes it's hard to keep coming up with ideas if you play this game for a while. Here are a few questions for you to think about that will help you think of new ideas:

ü  Do you have any special talents that people don't know about?
ü  Are there any things you wish were true about yourself but aren't?
ü  What is your favorite subject in school? Or your favorite anything?
ü  Are you known for something like sports that would make it not seem obvious that you liked something else like poetry?
ü  How many siblings do you have and how many of each?
ü  What is something you have never done but that most people have?
ü  What are some things you have accomplished?
ü  What do you want to be when you grow up?
ü  What do you own or not own?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...